scottdale borough community
associations borough permit applications churches clubs faqs housing links officials ordinance requirements schools waste management


What are the rules for installing residential pools?

General Code Rules for Residential Pools are required by the Uniform Construction Code:

Definition: A swimming pool is any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches deep, including in-ground, above-ground and on-ground pools and hot tubs and spas.

Outdoor installations: Must have a barrier of at least 48 inches high completely surrounding the pool and no more than a 2-inch gap at the base. The barrier may be pool walls.

Any barrier around a pool must not allow the passage of a 4-inch sphere.

Solid barriers, such as brick or masonry wall cannot have indentations or projections making the wall climbable.

Chain-link fencing cannot have larger than 2.25-inch mesh.

Access gates must comply with the above rules and

  1. shall be equipped to accommodate a lock and shall swing out from the pool and be self closing and latching.
  2. The release mechanism for the self-latching gate must be more than 54 inches from the bottom of the gate or located on the pool side of the gate. The gate shall not have any opening greater than 1/2 inch within 18 inches of the release mechanism.

Important: Where the wall of a dwelling constitutes part of the barrier for a pool special requirements apply. Contact the inspection office.

Electrical Regulations: Most residential pools will need a separate 20 amp, 120 volt circuit with ground fault interrupter. This circuit must be run in conduit (PVC ok) with three separate insulated wires (not cable). Consult the inspector for specifics.

Where can I check to see if my contractor is certified?

As of July 1, 2009, contractors who perform home improvements totaling $5,000 or more per year must register with the Office of the Attorney General. If you are remodeling your home, be sure your contractor is registered with the Office before you sign a contract. The new Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act requires a written contract when the price of the project exceeds $500.

To check registrations, visit or call 1-800-520-6680.

How can I rent the gazebo?

All people or groups wishing to use Gazebo Parklet must obtain a permit from the borough.

The fee schedule is:

  • Weddings and non-profit activities of 4 hours or less $25
  • Profit-making activities and events lasting more than 4 hours $75 per day
  • Photo sessions $5 per session

How can I rent the Loucks Park Pavilion?

All individuals or groups wishing to rent the Loucks Park pavilion must obtain a permit from the Borough office. The fee to rent the pavilion is $75.00

Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Parking in the park is prohibited. The pavilion is handicapped accessible.